Friday, September 9, 2011

Emotional Intimacy

I used to think loneliness was the worst of silent enemies and the lack of companionship is the worst burden we could bear in our lives. But today I realize that while most of us have a number of companions in our lives, the lack of emotional intimacy is the silent killer.

We all deeply need that tender, heart-glowing feeling that sweeps over us when a bond is being formed with another. When you can look into each others eyes, say nothing and know they authentically are aching to hear what you have to say - good or bad. Emotional intimacy - when another person will work at loving you the way you want to be loved. Romantic or platonic intimacy is a treasured gift indeed and I seek more of it. I ask for it to appear more frequently in my days. Today, is my son's 12th birthday...my youngest child is in middle school this year...as he grows older...I grow more.... reflective, relevant and responsive to those around me.

No comments: